Troop 10 Committee Meeting
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Meeting 6:00 pm
Blue Hills Country Club
S. Rohleder, S. Bower, T. Baker, D. Holt, D. Contag, S. Brown, C. Shanklin, C. Gibson, J. Muchow, D. Wilson, Q. Cokington, J. Shetlar, R. Wood, J. Martin, B. Williams, G. Spies, T. Fuehr, C. Atwell, AJ Eaton, J. Ahart, T. Thomas, R. Davis, R. Baker, T. Martz, G. Flick, G. Schropshire, T. Navickas, E. Navickas, C. Loudon
Introductions & Opening Comments – Blake Williams
Blake called the
meeting to order @ 6PM
Volunteer roles: D. Wilson looking for a replacement for Recruitment (important), D. Dellinger stepping aside from Community Service Projects, B. Koizel looking for replacement Uniform resale and bead (R. Holmes currently doing), M. Flanagan could use assistance in Religious Award Coordination. Discussion, but no takers. Add truck driver bead for adults.
G. Flick: Leo Club for
inactive Eagles proposed, could tie into Venture crew, recruit girls. Also looking to get Scouting involvement in
Habitat and an emergency readiness trailer (to be stocked with chain saws, ham
radio, other tools useful to respond to storm, flood, etc..
damage) somewhat modeled after Church of the Resurrection effort. Venture crew scouts attended CERT (civil emer response training) previously. Ron Wood will discuss further with
Treasury: ~$31k in cash, accts rec. under $20k. Big topic is the increase in requests for financial help in sponsoring camperships, and in offers from people wanting to make cash donations. Blake to send email blast reminding parents that financial help is available and discreet (Blake, J. Martin, or G.Flick). R. Wood will discuss this topic on Thursday with District; seems like a good opportunity to do outreach beyond Troop 10. G. Flick thinks Lion’s would like to help in this area as well. One idea suggested was to check our ratio of Bartle scouts vs. our membership to get indicator of people who may be quiet but could use a hand.
OA: D. Contag and R. Baker have gotten upgraded sound equipment/wireless devices donated for this year’s ceremony. Gators lined up from Cliff and Doug Ball’s Deere contact (need Spies to trailer down). C. Loudon has the 2 way radios. K. Tenny has been helping make the Eagle costume, which leaves his (eagle) prints on the ceremony. Need more adult leaders to manage lodge fire, wardrobe, clean up, etc… D. Contage will send out an email explaining the very limited number of adult slots we get for OA; our logic is to sign up the most involved adults who will enhance the program. ~6 straw bales requested from anyone with a source to deaden generator noise.
MOC: Tribal Feast is same date as 1st year campout, 5/30.
Camping: S. Brown will be campmaster at OA Tapout and bring his canoe. AJ will bring up the canoe trip at PLC and get feedback on one float route for all vs. multiple floats of different length. A liability issue exists with parents bringing other siblings to campouts. Blake to send email out reminding parents of the BSA rules and ask for compliance. This message could also be added to the campout flyers. Mixed conversation about inviting Lions and scout family members to observe OA Tapout ceremony, probably enough parking for all interested.
AJ Eaton: Good Bike Hike campout, well organized, no accidents, got packed and out at 9:00am (people doing better waiting for the troop truck to leave first). Cooking did occur at patrol level… but has room for improvement. Weather was uncertain but worked out fine. AJ would like to revive the red neckerchiefs for PL’s and blue for ASPL’s (Blake to contact C. Helmstetter on this). Scouts would get to keep these as a token rather than recycle them to next leader.
Quartermaster: Coleman is repairing lanterns for us, several still under warranty. Lots of bent poles on the bike hike from wind. C. Shanklin suggests there is a way to tie down more firmly to avoid problem – good topic for the PLC to address.
Bartle: Adult helpers for Sign Up night (4/6) to be there at 5:45 for set up. E. Navickas reviewed the health form info required and needs access to a good copier (J. Shetlar). We have a list of Bartle adults who have let their BSA memberships (?) lapse and need to renew this with district.
Membership: D. Wilson reports that of the 29 who crossed over, 7 are missing in action; only one of these has responded back and said that they aren’t interested in pursuing Troop 10. 3 have attended meetings but are lacking paperwork… 500 flyers went out to the school district to 5th graders inviting them to show up tomorrow night at Bartle sign up. If we get business, Blake will show them the recruiting DVD and do a promo with the boys and parents.
Eagle/ECOH: Steven Cargin has a board of review 4/16 and Tracy Thomas needs adult volunteers (Schropshire, Muchow, Williams, Spies). M. Specht, J. Murphy, D. Garrity and T. Bugg have been invited to the ECOH 300. D. Holt reports that the Eagle Roll Call document is mostly cleaned up; there are opportunities to review files at District and get memorabilia from former Troop 10 scouts/scouters. Some of our Eagles’ adult accomplishments would make interesting features on the troop website. Invitations were procured at moderate cost, still working on making décor special for this event. Is Leawood Lions listed in the ECOH program booklet that we pass out?
Leadership: We have 26 scouts signed up as Troop Guide or Instructor, 8 as Chaplain’s Aide… the number is felt to be too high, and the commitment to these leadership position is felt to be heading in the wrong direction. We have 2-3 patrols that currently have no Quartemaster (which ones?) This needs to be resolved by the SPL Team/Color Team Leaders. Motions were brought up, discussed and passed on these two revisions to our leadership practices, starting in the fall of 2009:
1. The PL and QM positions must be filled on election night before any scout is able to sign up for other leadership positions. The goal is to get the key patrol positions filled first.
2. Den Chiefs and ASPL’s will be the only leadership positions that a scout can hold for two consecutive leadership periods. The goal is to have Scouts to hold a variety of leadership positions and keep learning new things; Den Chief and ASPL will be the exceptions.
AJ and the ASPL’s are working on structured troop meetings where the Instructors could present to small groups of scouts and work the leadership positions. Similar approach to Bill Ramsey’s MB work at troop meetings.
S. Bower: To be trained, adults need: Fast Start (online), Youth Protection (online), New Leader Essentials, Job Specific Training, and Intro to Outdoor Leadership. Days 2, 3, 4 at Bartle will have some of these training sessions available for adults. Some discussion to get a trainer to come to one of our campouts and train a group of adults.
Respectfully submitted this 5th day of April to Blake Williams by John McCabe
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org