Troop 10 Committee Meeting
Blue Hills Country Club
Ahart, John; Coffey, Mike; D'Adamo, Joe; Ball, Doug; Buckner, Chip; Easley, William; Eaton, Roger; Gibson, Chuck; Haner, Bill; Key, Bob; Korvick, Rick; Lehleitner, Bob; Luchen, Chuck; McCabe, John; Muchow, Jeff; Myers, Alan; Newstrom, Ronda; Parkins, Mark; O’Farrell, Kevin; Reynolds, Brent; Roberson, Ken; Shuttleworth, Keith; Snorgl, Dan; Spies, Greg; Vogliardo,Joe; Wasko, Jim; Weaver, Scott; Wheeler, Rob; Williams, Blake
Jeff Muchow called the meeting to order at
Appreciation Jeff Muchow
Congratulated Terry Ellis for his fine work as Chair and thanked him for
all his help in the Chair transition.
Jeff also stated he is committed to try and end meetings by .
Thanked Doug Ball for taking minutes at the last meeting. We had a great turnout at Webelos night and
Jeff congratulated Greg Spies for his work helping with the high turnout. Congratulated Scott Weaver on his promotion
to the rank of
Scoutmaster William Easley
William commented on last weeks PLC and Troop meeting. The bulk of the time was spent planning menus. Collins Reynolds wants the meetings to have more activities and they discussed new ways to promote at the PLC. Crab Soccer went well except for some scouts that were asked to leave for poor behavior. Boys must come to meeting with uniform or they will be asked to leave. As a reward, we will hold meetings on occasion that don’t require uniforms. (See additional comments below in new business)
Eagle Court Joe Vogliardo / Chuck Luchen
Joe and Chuck congratulated by the chair. Thirteen Scouts became Eagle and the program was well managed and lasted only 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Advancement: Scout thru Life - Brent Reynolds
Court of Honor will be held tomorrow depending on room availability. Not many advancements to report except for 2nd class. Eagle Candidates - Clarence Krantz
We will have One Eagle Board of Review this month for Andrew Vogliardo on Thursday evening,
Treasurer Report Kevin O’Farrell
$20,000 in cash account but we still need to pay for greenery and shirts. PayPal is working well and we have already collected $1,000 via Pay Pal.
Fundraising (Greenery) – Alan Myers
Thanked everyone for helping with handing out the greenery. $8,789 total collected and we are still collecting buy-out money. $6,041 total estimated profit this year. Great job Alan!
Feast Campout - 150 plus participants. Thanks to the Grubmaster, Dr. Strain and parents for help with meal preparation. Cooking went very well. Did not have a conservation project but we improvised and had the boys look for a simulated lost child. Thanks to Scott Weaver for his help with slingshots and the commando event. The SPL lead the Webelos and did a great job. Thanks to Kyle Landau, acting SPL.
Watkins Mill Campout
The troop went to Jessie James farm, hiked from the campsite and visited the Museum. The boys also participated in the holiday event. The boys participated in lots of physical activity including a 5-mile hike. Boys slept well as a result of the exhaustive day of activities. Cooking was lax so we will need more theme cooking. One patrol attempted to escape the Campfire so they were “selected” to perform nursery rhymes and other entertaining songs. Many boys did not have proper cold weather attire and we will address it at the next troop meeting with a demonstration.
January Campout – Snow Creek
We have a conflict with the district Merit badge forum as a result we will change the campout date. New date is Friday the 13th with departure Saturday morning after breakfast. Only two meetings between now and the campout. Need to give Snow Creek advanced notification for discounts. John McCabe will coordinate. Skiing Merit Badge can be earned at Snow Creek if advance work is performed. Scott Weaver moved to change the date – approved.
Bartle 2006 – William Easley
Chuck Gibson will not be available full time as Campmaster so we need two more to serve as Campmaster. William wants to set up a couple of movies to keep the boys entertained. We need to come up with a way to power the DVD and projector. Greg Spies has an idea for power and will take on the task. We want telescopes at Bartle summer camp. We can probably obtain a sufficient number of telescopes from troop members.
High Adventure 2006 (Boundary Waters Fly in Fishing Trip) – Bryce Wells/Jeff Muchow - Bryce not present but sent a note. Bryce wants approval from the committee to plan a Boundary Waters Fly in. Jeff suggested a trip arranged by a private canoe company to expand the number of Scouts and parents who could participate. Committee approved.
Philmont Trip approved for
Equipment Chuck Gibson
We discussed cooking equipment purchase from Rusty Howell. The Troop is reviewing the purchase of Rusty’s equipment. We do not think we would use all of it so we may offer a counter proposal for the equipment we feel we could use. Chuck will continue to review and present options at the next board meeting. Jeff will inquire with HOAC as to their willingness to offer the surplus equipment to other troops in need at the prices agreed to by Rusty.
Membership Greg Spies
We will have Webelos night on January 30th. Troop 10 will be at Overland Trail Elementary to give the Troop 10 presentation on the December 12th. Troop 10 will teach knots for Pack 3002 later this week. Jeff congratulated Bob Key for working on the Webelos video presentation. Greg Spies said we won’t know until March how many will cross over to Troop 10.
Policy - We discussed uniforms and boys attendance. William Easley wants the policy to be consistent and in the manual. Jeff asked Greg Spies to draft a recommendation for policy on uniforms and electronics and present his recommendation at the next meeting.
Honor Programs O/A – Rob Wheeler
Troop 10 has 3 reservations for crossover.
Mic-O-Say – Greg Spies/Blake Williams
We held a Mic-O-Say meeting at the Feast campout and it went well. We will have the next breakout meeting at the January campout.
Training Update Blake Williams
Training schedule is on the district website. Blake needs everyone that received training last year to send an email to him confirming training attendance.
Merit Badge Forum January/February—Keith Shuttleworth
Keith asked for merit badge counselor volunteers. District merit badge forum will be held on
January 21 and Feb 18 at the Church of the Resurrection.
Round Table William Easley
The main topic was about hobbies and William wants to try this at the Troop meeting by having adult and scout leaders share their hobbies at the troop meeting. The first 30 minutes was about hatpins. A packet was handed out about the camp draw at Bartle and it singled out Troop 10. Another troop felt troop 10 was shown favoritism. There is a rule about splitting troops in multiple campsites and troop 10 gets caught in the middle. Jeff will discuss issue with Matt Specht at the Trailhead District office.
New Business Open Discussion - All
We discussed the Greenery buyout for scouts that are no longer active as of the Greenery sale. Consensus is no payment is necessary if the scout is no longer active. Re-registration is being moved potentially to September / October. Currently the re-registration period is January. Greg suggests we move our fees to September based on the school year. Committee approved and we will prorate dues and start in September.
February campout will be February 10-11 at the Cosmosphere. We will camp Friday night at the Salvation Army headquarters in Hutchinson and return Saturday after the museum tour. We will camp indoors but the committee voted to count the night as a full outdoor campout for the OA 15th night requirement.
Greg Spies suggested a campout for star ranks or higher during the same weekend at the Cosmosphere campout. He suggested a cleanup project at a nearby Cemetery located at the Spies Farm. Spies will coordinate with Col. Weaver.
Jeff thanked to all those that sent in letters of recommendation for the Trailhead District award nominations.
Jeff handed out current list of adult leaders and he also added a new position called scout transition coordinator.
Troop 256 is going on a ski trip and they have 10 slots open. The date February 17th – 20th (Presidents weekend)
Jeff announced that William Easley would like to step aside and begin to transition out of the Scoutmaster role by the end of the school year. Jeff will be visiting with prospective Scoutmaster volunteers. Jeff thanked William for his many contributions and will with him on a transition plan next spring.
meeting will be canceled if it can not be held tomorrow resulting from a
scheduling conflict at
Web site is down but Herb Strain and Bob Key are working on it.
Motion for Bob Key to make up to $100 e software purchase approved.
Question asked about upgrading TroopMaster and Brent said it would not be a good idea at this time.
Col. Weaver suggested Highlighting Scout leaders by providing a different color neckerchief - approved.
Suggestion made to move the signup table and limit adult conversation during the Troop meeting because it is causing disturbance in the room.
Jeff Muchow adjourned the meeting at
Robert J. Key
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org
Next Committee Meeting