February 9, 2003
Glenn Alexander, Gary Bernhardt, Mike Coffey, Rick Cunningham, Chris D’Adamo, Gary Dennis, Marc Elkins, Terry Ellis, Chuck Gibson, Denny Hamilton, Bill Haner, Joe Johnson, Rick Isham, Larry Lehman, Steve Ornduff, Brent Reynolds, Allan Schoof, Stu Sharp, Greg Spies, Herb Strain, Jim Wasko, Frank Weidling, Bryce Wells & Tom Wineland
Bill Haner – Scoutmaster’s Minute – Commented on how great the ski campout went.
· We have broken into four teams with an assistant scoutmaster in charge of each.
· Ryan Strain is the new Senior Patrol Leader with A. Schoof, P. Gilligan, A. Landau and T. Hamilton as his assistants
· February 24th – OA Elections and Campout planning at next troop meeting
· Scout Spirit Form – to be signed off by their assigned Assistant Scoutmaster for rank advancement.
Terry Ellis – Asked if scout dropout rate is increasing. It does not seem statistically that this is happening. Some who have dropped out have developed other priorities. One moved to another troop after becoming an Eagle
Steve Ornduff – 2003 Bartle – June 19th to June 28th – Second session
Second payment of $100 is now due and fully refundable until April 15th. Greg Spies will be in charge of transportation. March 25th will be a meeting to discuss Bartle details. Wants ideas on making Bartle even more fun for the scouts. Expects 130+ scouts. April 14th is Merit Bade sign up.
Rick Isham – March campout at Illig farm – OA Tapout and fishing – two-night campout, Mustangs will be invited. He will look into having military guys there we will consider a conservation project there
· April – Canoe trip
Greg Spies – Blackbeard’s cruise has twenty-one scouts and parents and is currently full.
Bryce Wells – High Adventure – facilitated a discussion on shrinking numbers of scouts in these activities and what activities the group would like planned. Discussed the importance of having the scouts have enthusiasm about the various trips.
Stu Sharp – High Adventure offering. Backpacking and climbing in Colorado. He has developed a flyer for this.
Joe Johnson – Eagle Court April 27th at BVNWHS. Parents meetings to begin March 3rd. We have five to six scouts so far who will be Eagle.
· Discussed replacing our large Eagle Honor Board with a smaller one that will be easier to display, store and transport. It was decided to not replace it or continue to update it.
Herb Strain – We have two Eagle Boards on February 20th and volunteers are needed to participate.
Chris D’Adamo – Treasurer Report. Our accounts are in good enough shape to buy new tents.
Greg Spies – Some tents need to be retired and we will need new ones. He suggested we buy ten new ones and it was approved.
Larry Lehman – Reported on Price Chopper/ Hen House Rewards program. We continue to receive small checks since we only have seven registered for Price Chopper and nine for Hen House.
· Discussed possibility of offering Price Chopper coupon books at meetings or door to door. Kim Williams will pursue this since she is our new fundraising chairperson. She will also see if BSA policies permit this.
Herb Strain – Missy Alexander has phoned a number of feeder troops to arrange for us to attend crossover meetings.
· Discussed specific packs and their crossover dates and possible numbers
· Was asked for some of our scouts to volunteer to do a Color Guard ceremony at a Blue and Gold dinner.
· Estimates we have at least thirty-six new scouts that will be joining. We currently have about one hundred current scouts and ninety registered leaders.
Terry Ellis – Mic-O-Say merchandise was offered for sale at a scout meeting and we were asked to bill for this despite the troop not receiving any monetary benefit. It was decided that we will not be the billing and collection agent for this or offer commercial merchandise for sale at our meetings.
Chuck Gibson – Discussed a scout’s reaction to our policy of no longer having first year scouts become patrol leaders.
Bill Haner – Is requesting a volunteer to head up the Scout Volunteer Day for April 12th. It is a Council activity.
Glenn Alexander – Asked that campout duty rosters be approved and posted in plastic sleeves at the patrol leaders tents.
Larry Lehman – JLT on March 3rd at 6:00 p.m.
Stu Sharp – Night vision binoculars – It was decided the troop will buy these.
Herb Strain – Leawood City Hall Flag Ceremony – On Monday night, February 17th. Frog patrol to do this.
· Concerned that scouts left before the morning duties were completed or having notified the scoutmaster at the last campout.
The meeting was ended at 8:45 p.m.
Lawrence P. Lehman
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org