Troop 10 Committee Meeting
Blue Hills Country Club
John Ahart, Doug Ball, Chip Buckner, Mike Coffey, William Easley, Terry Ellis, Ted Fuehr, Chuck Gibson, Bill Haner, Denise Holt, Rick Korvick, Chuck Luchen, John McCabe, Jeff Muchow, Alan Myers, Kevin O’Farrell, Mark Parkins, Brent Reynolds, Dan Schorgl, Jim Shetler, Greg Spies, Judge Jim Vano, Jim Wasko, Col. Scott Weaver, Greg Williams, Bryce Wells, Donna Wilson
Jeff Muchow called the meeting to order at
Comments Jeff Muchow
Recognized recipients of Tailhead District awards recipients, Terry Ellis, Greg Williams, Ken Roberson.
Scoutmaster William Easley
Scott Haner was elected SPL at last meeting. Kyle Landau was runner up and was asked to serve as junior assistant scoutmaster. One issue, according to rules, only Eagle scouts can be JAS, but given Kyle’s role lately in leadership, William would like to offer this role to Kyle. He is working toward Eagle, needs one merit badge and Eagle project. This is a troop rule, not BSA rule, so this group has the discretion along with the committee. John Ahart proposed waiving, Terry Ellis seconded, vote was unanimous. Kyle’s role will involve working more with adults than as an ASPL role. William will hand out patches on Monday night to both.
Scott Weaver discussed ASPL responsibilities. Scott would like to have 4 boys, Joey Parrish, Mitch Smith, Kevin and Alex, Wolverines. They will have to decide who will cover Indians, Scorpions and Roadrunners. An example of a gap here is that there are three patrols without quartermasters. They need to get that addressed.
New neckerchiefs will be handed out at the troop meeting, royal blue for SPL, lighter blue for ASPL’s and red for patrol leaders.
Scoutmaster Succession Jeff Muchow
Scott Weaver has accepted the Troop 10 Scoutmaster position. Chip Buckner has agreed to assist Scott during the transition and when Scott is traveling. Announcement will be made on February 27 to the boy scouts. Everyone expressed appreciation to William for his contributions during his tenure as Scoutmaster.
Eagle Court Joe Vogliardo / Chuck Luchen
Advancement: Scout thru Life - Brent Reynolds
Scout thru Life – Brent Reynolds – Nothing to report other than Recharter process is due March 15. Herb has been keeping list and updating Troopmaster. There are 119 confirmed boys who have agreed to continue and 30 who are not continuing.
Eagle Candidates – Clarence Krantz – not present, three boys prepared for Eagles: Hunter Dunning, Will Fehr and Andrew Vogliardo. Max Magee is scheduled for his Eagle Board of Review on February 21. Four scouts anticipated for next Eagle court scheduled for April 23. Kevin Orduff and Matt Worthington are nearing completion of their Eagle requirements. Will and Hunter are scheduled for Eagle boards Thursday February 16 at and . Please send an email to Clarence if you can participate in the Eagle Boards on February 16. John Ahart, Dan Schorgl, and Mark Parkins volunteered.
Treasurer Report Kevin O’Farrell
We have $9k in our account, but $4,500 in reserve for Philmont. We have enough cash, but will need to collect receivables during the next month. We’ll be a little thin, and need to have a push to get folks paid up. We have $7k in receivables and $4k other than ski campout. We need more patches for neckerchiefs and Ted Fuehr will order them this week.
March, April Campouts—John McCabe – Campout for this month is all planned for Cosmosphere in
· Leadership Campout—Scott Weaver
· Bartle 2006 – William Easley – Parents meeting will be May 24th, Wednesday night at at Sharp’s farm. At snowcreek had a short meeting for positions. Handed out leadership positions. Deadline is 27 of February, so get payments in to Kevin. Anything after this will be subject to late fee. No locations for orientation meetings. Buses are reserved for outbound.
· Philmont 2006—Terry Ellis – 30 troop 10 scouts are in line for Philmont, with 23 troop 10 adults. Coming along ok. 37 from other troops outside of Troop 10. All adult slots filled up. Firm 89 of 96 slots filled. Note to district and HOAC if someone wants 6 boy slots. Feb. 13th is due date for final payment. Collection for all Philmont and train costs. Right now have collected 13 of 89 people, so have due $33025. Payment to Philmont is about $24k. Next shakedown Feb. 24-25 (Sat/Sun). Expect a big group at this one. Divided up each crew with an adult leader to responsible for forms, money, etc. If someone doesn’t’ pay by 13th, must have check by 01March to lock in spot. Meeting with crew leaders in next 2 weeks. Brice is putting together first aid and CPR info for training for each crew. American Red Cross has 6 hour session specific to wilderness first aid and certification with that. This would be a good opportunity for anyone to get wilderness certified. Would be good for those going in 2007 also.
· Brice – 2007 – two different dep. Dates, Jun 8 for one crew (12) other is June 10th, remaining 6 crews. Will put up signup sheets for each. Priority would be rank and time with troop. 14 by Jan. 1 or completed 8th grade for requirements. Add also per Brice that health forms are taken very seriously and people may get sent home if they don’t meet the criteria on height/weight ratio. They will reject you.
Membership Greg Spies
· Troop 10 Scout registration is March 15th.
Crossover Ceremonies—Greg Spies/William Easley – Mission Trail on the
February 8th. Need boys and
adults. February 12th
· O/A – Rob Wheeler – not present
· Mic-O-Say – Greg Spies/Blake Williams – nothing to report
Training Update – Blake Williams
· Den Chief Training—Donna Wilson – Prepared for training on February 13th. If already a den chief, do they need to go through training, answer is yes. Can do continuing leadership position as den chief. Leadership cards go to Donna to get signed off, Brent for attendance, then to Ted for final signoff.
· Uniform exchange – will set up once a month. It was suggested that the uniform exchange be announced on the calendar. Several boys had their mothers come to the uniform exchange to assist in purchasing. Donna will accept e-mail orders. Donna will e-mail Herb to get on calendar. Since we do not have a large inventory of scout clothing and it was suggested that we send an email to scouts transitioning out of the Troop to donate their uniforms to the uniform exchange program. Perhaps Herb has a list of these boys email addresses to send an inquiry.
· Leadership training is still set up for February 13th from .
Merit Badge Forum January/February—Keith Shuttleworth
Forty-three scouts enrolled in the 1st session, second session scheduled for Feb. 18th.
Round Table Jeff Muchow
Discussions on how scouts should treat other scouts with disabilities. The meeting also included incentives on getting Hispanics into scouting. We are seeing more and more in schools, but not many in scouting. Could we discuss at troop meetings to encourage minorities into scouting. If a troop can get 5 minorities at Bartle, there will be an incentive. We need to also encourage 6-8th graders to recruit additional boys to meetings and campouts. There are some problems with advancement process for Eagle project presentations in that the time wasted at roundtable sessions is excessive. They cannot project the number of boys that will show up and they need some additional volunteers to assist. Dennis Gerrity is the coordinator. There is some training for this task. If we get 5-6 adults to volunteer, they will arrange for training at the District roundtable. Volunteers would be in a pool. Mike Coffey, Ted Fehr, Rick Korvick and Bill Haner volunteered.
New Business Open Discussion - All
· New Weblos Parent Orientation Schedule – Jim Shetler and Rob Wheeler have developed a program that will be in addition to the initial orientation program. We will schedule two Monday evenings in conjunction with our scout meeting for new parents on various operating procedures within the troop and also use this opportunity to recruit adult leaders. The result is intended to take pressure off e-mails, phone calls, and questions during the first three months of new scouts entering the Troop. Will e-mail to Greg for handing to boys. Need to coordinate with Jim Wasko and Mike Coffey on pod usage. We have them reserved and Jeff will talk to custodian on Monday. Two tentative dates are 24 Apr and 15 May. They have some speakers already lined up to speak about different topics. Create a place for questions to go. Should put a link on webpage that would send copy to scoutmaster and new parent questions. The initial orientation meeting is scheduled for April 5th at , at which time the parents will be informed about the follow-up sessions. General topics – advancement, leadership, camping, Bartle, website, and treasurer, also health forms.
· New business – Camping season suggestions on canoe location. Greg Williams would like the committee or scoutmaster to consider splitting up and having more wilderness campouts for older boys, more upstream with packs and canoes, do overnight on stream. Committee agreed with Greg’s recommendation and he will work with John McCabe on details.
· Chuck – tent inventory – need to obtain tent inventory by quartermasters to get good count on tents and get them turned in. Also, pack 3383 Webelos are having hike at the Arboreatum. If any boys need service hours, they will be doing charcoal chimney demonstration.
· Greg – FOS – still need to raise 2006 contributions and do a better job in retention. We need to start working with boys to complete their Eagles before age restrictions become a problem. Should be the role of assistant scoutmasters. There are a number of boys dropping for various other reasons. We need to look at all boys not advancing. Troopmaster can provide this information. The website will provide instructions.
· Jim Vano – has told Tom Wineland he’d help with Boards of Review, now that Tom is gone, he could use some help! Please help encourage folks to do BOR’s. Might have a signup. Boys are coming to Jim, so adults could sign up at beginning of each meeting. Jim will try tomorrow. Brent’s suggestion – have boys sign up a week in advance so we can get crews assembled. The earlier ranks could come on first come basis.
· Ted Fehr – talked about Coleman coming to Camporees, Klondikes, etc. They have really good pricing on Coleman products. Should we consider having them come to our troop? Might be appropriate for new boys as well as older boys. Cannot be at official scout events due to vending rules. Ted will coordinate with Chuck Gibson.
· Joe Vogilardo’s last Eagle court, so Chuck Luchen will be looking for assistant.
Jeff Muchow adjourned the meeting at
Robert J. Key, Secretary
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org
Next Committee Meeting