Troop 10 Committee Meeting
January 8, 2005
Blue Hills Country Club
Ahart, John; Coffey, Mike; D'Adamo, Joe; Ball, Doug; Buckner, Chip; Easley, William; Eaton, Ellis, Terry; Roger; Gibson, Chuck; Haner, Bill; Howell, Rusty/Debbie; Key, Bob; Korvick, Rick; Lehleitner, Bob; Luchen, Chuck; McCabe, John; Muchow, Jeff; Newstrom, Ronda; Parkins, Mark; O’Farrell, Kevin; Reynolds, Brent; Roberson, Ken; Shuttleworth, Keith; Schorgl, Dan; Spies, Greg; Wasko, Jim; Weaver, Scott; Wheeler, Rob;
Jeff Muchow called the meeting to order at 6:00pm
Comments Jeff Muchow
Introduced and thanked Donna Wilson for volunteering to be Den Chief and Uniform Exchange Coordinator. Discussed scoutmaster secession and requested volunteers.
Scoutmaster William Easley
Jim will do a proper clothing demo about clothing and propane safety.
Court Joe Vogliardo / Chuck Luchen – Looking for an Eagle video for the
Advancement: Scout thru Life - Brent Reynolds - Small advancement group but Brent said this is typical for this time of year.
Rechartering January 12, 7:30 p.m.—Rolling Hills Presbyterian
Herb is keeping track of registration for troop membership.
Eagle Candidates - Clarence Krantz
Treasurer Report Kevin O’Farrell
$13,000 in the bank and Kevin is expecting many checks at this meeting.
January Campout Snow Creek Skiing January 13-14– John McCabe - Considering canceling because of the heat and icy conditions but decided to move forward because of conflicts with other dates and to late to make changes. Last signup is Monday night. 62 currently signed.
Campout Cosmosphere in
February Campout Star Rank and Higher—Greg Spies/Col. Scott Weaver - Focus will be on Leadership and based on the legendary giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan. The project will include 2 hours of brush clearing, A Situation Activity including building a stretcher, giving first aid to a simulated injury and moving the victim. (The victim will be a dummy to prevent a real injury) Other activities will focus on interpersonal and physical skills including motivation and creative field solutions. At the end of the session the Boy Scouts will discuss the day’s activities and scout leaders will provide constructive feedback. We plan to have at least 10 adult leaders attend.
Campout Bike campout Catfish Katy – Possible 50 mile bike hike.
Prairie Spirit / Town of
Bartle 2006 Campmaster Selection will be Chip Buckner John McCabe and Jeff Muchow - We will have a meeting at the lodge at Snow Creek to discuss adult leader jobs.
Philmont 2006 Terry Ellis - 90 people attending including 6 other troops. We will give one more opportunity
for troop 10 members to signup. Next
shakedown is in February at
Philmont 2007 Crew Update, Terry Ellis - We have seven crews for 2007 – WOW You have to be 14 years old by January 7 2007 to be eligible to attend. June 8th is the single crew and the 10th – 21st of June is the big one.
Equipment Chuck Gibson
Equipment Purchase – Chuck Gibson/Rick Korvick - Troop truck smog pump had to be replaced for $500. Chuck requested 10 – 20 new tents. Chuck has 60 tents in inventory and needs Quartermasters to turn in all not counted. Rusty has offered a 30% discount on his equipment. Purchase price for troop 10 is $1600 total. The breakdown is $400 for Old Goat equipment and $1200 for Boy Scout equipment. Jim Muchow said we are offering Surplus Equipment to Trailhead District Troops and Rusty will coordinate.
Membership Greg Spies - commented that Joe Wheeler and Clayton Shuttleworth did a great job presenting to the Webelows at the last event. Next Webelos Night is January 30 the same night Troop elections are scheduled. We will break the Webelos boys out in a POD to view the slide show and hold elections and speech’s when they leave the main hall to view the video. It was reported that 12 Webelows will cross over from Mission Trail.
Policy Greg Spies - Greg Spies - handed out the policy recommendations. Changes include Secretary relieved from maintaining attendance records. A motion was made to insert the health forms on the web site but it did not pass. Scouts will not get credit for attendance when not in class A but will not be asked to leave unless they have other behavior issues. Team leaders will be responsible for monitoring attendance. If leadership cards are not turned in on time (60 days after a period ends) a scout may still be eligible for %50 credit if turned in between 60 and 90 days. Rusty encouraged the Troop to enforce the dress code. Greg Spies agreed to take on an additional role as Class A attire enforcer. The policy changes were voted on and approved.
Honor Programs O/A – Rob Wheeler
TroopMaster can produce eligibility reports. Rob will provide a printout of the report at each troop meeting. This years first year scouts may not meet the 15 day camping requirement. Rob will monitor the scouts on the bubble. 114 current OA members and a bill is on the way to troop 10 for approximately $1,000. Troop 10 has several crossovers planed. Winter Banquet was a success and Joe Wheeler did a great job with our exhibit and we also included our C Team concept. Other troops are taking on our C Team concept. May 5 is the induction weekend.
Mic-O-Say – Greg Spies/Blake Williams
Nothing new to report
Training Update Blake Williams
Den Chief Training—Donna Wilson - Mary transitioned her information to Donna including the uniform exchange.
Merit Badge Forum January/February—Keith Shuttleworth
Keith asked for merit badge counselor volunteers. District merit badge forum will be held on January 21 and Feb 18 at the Church of the Resurrection. Donna will setup a table at the Merit Badge Forum for soda and food.
Round Table William Easley
Round table dealt with the Citizenship merit badges exclusively.
New Business Open Discussion - All
District Recognition January 28, 2006 – Remind all to sign up and attend it’s at the OP Marriot.
Wood Badge is coming up. Not much interest but most other troops in the district attend.
Discussed open adult leader positions and encouraged all present to volunteer or ask other parents to get engaged.
Discussed creative ways to involve new parents in leadership positions and it will be a topic for the next committees meeting.
The committee approved special neckerchiefs for senior patrol leaders and patrol leaders. Scott Weaver will coordinate.
Chuck is looking
for an Eagle Soaring video for the
Bartle payments are due by January 27th.
William Easley announced SPL elections will be held in the same format as last time.
The February 27th
troop meeting will be at Irion Woods. (153rd and
We have an
invitation from Troop 256 to join them for a
Based on discussions at the scoutmasters meeting we need more accountability for Boy Scouts who hold Leadership positions. The committee will discuss options at the next committee meeting.
Jeff Muchow adjourned the meeting at 7:55 p.m.
Robert J. Key
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org
Next Committee Meeting Februafy 5th 2005