Troop 10 Committee Meeting
November 05, 2006
Blue Hills Country Club
John Ahart, Tom Baker, Doug Ball, Chip Buckner, Rich Caffrey, Quintin Cokingtin, David Corley,William Easley, Ted Feuhr, Chuck Gibson, Bill Haner, Denise Holt, Rick Korvick, Charles Luchen, John McCabe, Jeff Muchow, Alan Myers, Mark Parkins, Kevin O’Farrell, Chris Ottinger, SR. MD, Mark Parkins, Ken Roberson, Dan Schorgl, Greg Spies, Bob Tenny, Tracy Thomas, Jim Vano, Jim Wasko, Ron Wood
Jeff Muchow called the meeting to order at 6:00pm
Meeting Chair Jeff Muchow
Eagle Court of Honor scheduled for November 19th
at BVNW. After these 8 scouts, we’ll
have 250 Eagle Scouts awarded in Troop 10.
We have 2 who are over 18 but they can be recognized in our ceremony. Tomorrow night is last night before
Scoutmaster Scott Weaver
Scott is still recovering from surgery. He conveyed that the color teams are scheduled to conduct their respective meeting programs for the month of November.
Advancement Brent Reynolds
Deb Herman is taking over attendance starting Monday. Attendance records/sheets are now located on the main page of the Scout secure pages. They are labeled by meeting 01 or event number. Scouts are now accountable for their own records and now they have direct access. Col. Weaver will reinforce this at Monday’s meeting. Adult leaders are still only tracked in Troop Master.
Clarence is meeting with
the candidates at upcoming meetings.
Eagle Court of Honor October 19th at
Treasurer Kevin O’Farrell
Troop checking balance is $28,000. The troop and Bartle accounts have been consolidated into one bank account. We have collected $7,000 for Bartle to date. We have not made Philmont payment yet. Next big expenses will be Philmont and Eagle Court of Honor. Truck expenses including insurance will also be budgeted going forward. Feast will cost more than charges, but that’s normal.
Outdoor Activities John McCabe and Tom Baker
Ready for Feast at
Dan Schorgl has located some lodge pine poles – 25 ft long. They are used by the school system and being discarded. We can pick them up at the Heritage barn as a donation to Troop 10. We will make arrangements to pick them up and find a location for storage.
Dec. we’ve lined up on first weekend of December for our December Campout at
Jan. skiing campout, no arrangements made yet. Weekend of January12-13th.
Grub Master Rick Korvick, Denise Holt
We have some volunteers to do poppers again for the feast campout. We will barbeque turkeys on Stu’s smoker for dinner with salmon as an appetizer. We have a number of chickens to barbeque---left over from Camporee. John McCabe will confirm that we have power in the building.
Fundraising Alan Myers
Greenery ordered on Friday and to be delivered week after Thanksgiving. Total sales of $8,062. Buyouts will add to the projected profit of over $3,785. We will have leftover greenery items. We will offer these items at cost +20% for sale to troop. First come first served. We will need some volunteers at Stu’s to help with greenery distribution for two nights from 6-8 pm. Barb Kusick is helping out and will be main contact next year.
Equipment Chuck Gibson
Picked up the new truck this week and traded in the old one. The new truck is a 2003 International 4300. Auto, air brakes, diesel, 10 bays, removable shelves, dome lighting inside bed, painted white with our Troop 10 logo. Awesome truck and many thanks to Michael Kahn for this wonderful donation. Regarding ongoing maintenance, Bill Haner’s brother works at the International dealer by Worlds of Fun and will be a possible contact. We do need an operating manual. Have a couple of more checks to come in before registration is completed.
Tent inventory is still weak. Only have 3 or 4 who have turned in their tents from last campout. Need to possibly buy another 10 tents. We are down to old tents in need of repair. May also need some more in the spring when Webelos come in.
Philmont Update Jeff Muchow
We are still recruiting scouts. We are now at approximately 75 of 84 slots filled. We mde a $50 deposit on 84 slots. There is a troop within the inner city with some disadvantaged scouts, we may want to try to get the deposit put toward a couple of the boys in the inner city to fill a couple of slots. We will work with the HOAC to determine the right boys. There may be some gear available from folks who went last year. Some folks said they would sell or lease their equipment. No disagreements, so we will pursue that idea.
Membership Greg Spies
Webelos Night will be held on November 27. We need volunteers and another slide show for the event. Need to check attendance carefully to be sure our scouts meet Mic-O-Say requirements.
Webelo’s night on Nov. 27th. Need a presentation tape for Webelos adults. Still have whistles to hand out at end of meeting. Bob Key updated powerpoint with last year’s pictures. Could show same slideshow to kids also that we show to parents? Should send out invitations to same people that went to Camporee. Have had several inquiries about the date and some alternative dates also.
For 1st class requirement, the boys must now bring a new scout to a meeting or outdoor activity. 1st year boys need to be aware of this requirement. They can get a recruiters badge if the new boy signs up. If they want to try it for a month or two it will cost them $2.50. District is trying to push this program. We are 56 boys short of being quality district, and 11 cub scouts short. If each troop got 3 boys we would meet the District goal. Get word out to boys tomorrow. Trend for last 4 years is that cub scouts are declining, so now it is showing up in boy scouts. Cub Scouts have been pushing for recruiting. Our numbers as district and council are better than others for others across the country. They cannot advance to 1st class if they don’t bring anyone. Check your books for the requirement.
Honor Camping O/A Dave Contag
David Contag not present, but there will be e-mail going out for those to reregister for OA. Last year Kevin just billed everyone who was eligible, and if they said they didn’t want to register, he removed the charge. We sent it out last year before it was due, so we only sign up only those that were registering. David is also working on C-teams for Webelos. Meeting at 6:30 on Nov. 20th. Also winter banquet in Jan. for OA. Will be a notice out on that. Jan 6th at Bartle Hall. Due by Dec. 29th.
Adult Training Blake Williams
E-mail with adult training opportunities if anyone needs training. Check the Troop 10 Web site.
Community Service Deb Dellinger
Ernie Miller nature cleanup – only 3 scouts, but they worked real hard. Director of Ernie Miller was happy to have us and would like us to do a spring cleanup.
Nov. 13th Clarebridge Community Home to race hotwheels. Another opportunity with Salvation. Army and Leawood Lions Club – ring bells for 3 Wallmart stores and HyVee. Families can sign up, or patrols can sign up. Uniform is optional also. We can hand out candy canes and will need adults. Deb will pick some dates and get them on the web site.
Round Table Muchow
Roundtable information was not related to Troop 10 activities this month. Most of the discussion was regarding emergency preparedness. Announcements about adult recognition awards. Marc Elkins, Dr. Norman Kahn. Trailhead district leaders will be recognized on November 15th.
Dec. committee meeting – club is closing early on 10th, so moving up to 4:00 p.m. instead of 6:00 p.m. January will have different location since club will close for a few weeks. Also, new policy, jeans are now allowed at Blue Hills on Sunday nights.
Trailhead Camporee – need recap discussion on Camporee, what went good, etc. We had to scrape all fire ashes off the service road. Need to remember next time if we do this again. Greg – think about doing our own Camporee. We could plan our own Camporee and invite our own set of packs. Some resistance by Scouting packs, didn’t get a lot out of it, and our own boys do not have much fun. Low attendance by scouts. We could teach Webelos’ more fun stuff. It would be a couple of hundred people total. Do things like cooking without utensils, monkey bridge, knots, knife and axe, etc. Could do rockets, all kinds of stuff and put on same thing for less cost. Jim Wasko says we would do a better job if we do decide to do something different, and could probably have a better turnout. We did have district representation though at Camporee that did come around and visit the troops. Would another possibility to have troop 10 run next year’s Camporee? They have asked if we would be interested? We did first year and most of second year. Will put on agenda for next January and make a decision as troop then. Either we take opportunity to lead or do our own. District Executive will be looking to fill lead troop by then.
Scott Weaver has some insight on religious merit badge opportunities. We need to consider offering them as a troop. There is an individual to present to the troops. He has several presentations for troops. There are a lot of troops not affiliated with particular denomination, so those have the potential to fall through the cracks. Dr. Tenny knows the district rep. He gave the name to Scott to work with. If no objection, Bob will follow up. He can help the boys find out where to find their own faith’s representative hopefully.
Dr. Bob Tenney – training – when we do first aid we are supposed to document the first aid that we give to any scout or adult. There is a journal to fill out any time you give first. Bob has book ‘Outdoor Emergency Handbook’ to add to our medical equipment. Book tells you what to do in emergency situations. Easy to work with, so will be available at all campouts.
Open Discussion All
John Ahart – research on DVDs on survival in wilderness. Demonstrations and tactics. Best ones might be a good meeting topic to play.
William – thanks for well wishes following his surgery. William would like to volunteer to be the “uniform cop” for Troop 10 meetings. We need to make it very clear that this is the rule so they understand the implications. As a committee we can decide what fully makes up the uniform. Need to define the basics. Pants, shirt, neckerchief, slide, belt at a minimum. It is important when we go to Mic-O-Say voting we need to have accurate records and that should include uniformed attendance. William will visit with Scott and Brent. Need someone who is above the color level just to confirm that effectiveness is being followed. Boys turn in cards to ASM and the ASM confirms before turning in to Brent. Deb Herman is the one who is entering the attendance. Deb is the recorder, we need to be confirming before we give her the cards.
David Corley organized the Haunted House tour for Troop 10 scouts and adults. You need to have good ear plugs if you participate in this event. We had 21 scouts, probably 30 total. They really enjoyed the night though. Jeff – Thanks to Dave for coordinating this event.
– one other thing – email from former eagle scout – Aaron Jacobs – he has been working
Meeting was adjourned at 7:15 p.m.
Jeff Muchow adjourned the meeting at 7:25 p.m.
Robert J. Key, Secretary
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org
Next Committee Meeting December 10th 2006