Troop 10 Committee Meeting
Sunday, November 7th, 2010
Meeting 6:00 pm
Blue Hills Country Club
Elaine Navickas, Hinrich Staecker, Walt Andrews, Renee Andrews, Tracy Thomas, Chris Pfeffer, Blake Williams, Rob Baker, Greg Spies, John Martin, Chuck Gibson, Jim Wasco, Jim Cook, Bill Gurney (SPL), Otis Miller, Scott Brown, Scott Bower, Mike Riley, Julia Day, Rob Day, Garrett Shropshire.
Call to Order - 6:00 P.M.
· Troop Committee Chair, Blake Williams, called to order the regular meeting of the troop committee.
· Welcome & Introductions.
· Annual HOAC Adult Recognition Dinner - November 18, 2010 - Silver Beaver Recipients: Greg Spies, Rob Wheeler.
· In search of adult volunteers for: JLT Overall Coordinator, Community Service Coordinator, Committee Secretary.
Sponsor - Leawood Lions Club – (Blake Williams)
· Recent announcement of Gary Flick’s scheduled departure from the Leawood Lions Club. Will work with the Lions Club to determine his replacement. As the Charter Organization Rep, the troop will call upon Ken Roberson to assist in the transition.
Scoutmaster Report - SM/Jim Cook & SPL/Bill Gurney
· Good Shooter Safety Campout in October. Good participation by Webelos and parents.
· Good Webelos recruiting event this past troop meeting on Nov. 1.
· The troop will host another similar meeting for more visiting Webelos on November 22.
· PLC will facilitate Patrol Notebooks for consistent recording keeping.
· Campouts: November 13-14 The Feast AM- Commando Activities, PM-Orienteering for 1st Year Scouts and Visiting Webelos. Patrols will be organized to assist with food prep in the kitchen.
Campfire with skits, worship & movie.
Patrols will cook Sunday A.M. together.
· January Snow Creek
· February (TBD)
Outdoor Activities Report - Camping/Scott Brown & Grubmaster/Chris Pfeffer
November 12-14 The Feast /
prep at Stu Sharps Farm. Friday evening
· (Patrols will be organized to assistance in the kitchen.)
· January Ski Campout / Snow Creek Working
· February (TBD)
· High Adventure A few openings available for Philmont 2011. Interested parties should contact Quintin Cokington.
Equipment Report - Chuck Gibson & Tents/Lane Christenson
· November Campout Truck Loadout: Friday, November 11, 6:00 P.M. (Coordinating Patrol: Dragon)
· Most equipment in good condition. First Aid supplies and a few lanterns need some attention.
· Otis Miller will handle First Aid cases/supplies & Chuck Gibson will look into remaining issues.
· Tent inventory control continues to be an issue. Extensive discussion. Lane Christenson to develop a proposal for review and consideration. Color Team QM and Patrol QM to track more accurately. Patrol and individual patrol members will be held accountable for care & condition. Cannot tie the control system to “rank advancement”, but the proposal needs “some teeth” to be effective.
Membership Report - Recruiting/Renee Andrews
· October Shooter Safety Campout All Webelos & parents had a great time. Kudo’s to SPL & his team.
· November Feast Campout Anticipate up to 12 visiting Webelos with parents. SPL & team will coordinate
· Nov. 1 Webelos Recruiting Mtg. Well attended.
· Nov. 22 Webelos Recruiting Mg. Anticipate good attendance.
Candidates Expect good numbers from Cub Packs at
· 2011 Webelos Crossover Totals Anticipate 45-50 New Members.
Advancement Report - Scout thru Life/Julia Day & Eagle/Tracy Thomas
· Advancement recording keeping working well with few issues.
· Court of Honor Monday, Dec. 13.
· Eagle Court of Honor Sunday, Nov. 21. (12 New Eagle Scouts - Bob Rohlf to coordinate.)
· Merit Badge Forum January 2011.
Scout Leadership Report - Bob Rohlf
· (Not Present - General Information)
· Current Leadership Positions with conclude January 31, 2011.
Finance Report - John Martin
· Cash Reserves 30,000.00+
· Greenery Sales 15,325.00 (Previous Year – 2009: $9,300.00)
· Kudos to Karrin Berkowitz for such a wonderful job organizing this year’s fund raising activity.
· Accounts Receivable 12,400.00
· Troop had just received $700 from old “write-off” account - Pleasant surprise.
· Shooter Safety Campout - On Budget
· Jan. BSA Registration Fees - Troop to continue $100 Annual Fees
· John Martin to develop Campership proposal as a troop policy using these guidelines.
· Troop Camperships for families requesting assistance. Coordinated by Troop Chair & Troop Treasurer.
· Families in need to submit confidential requests in this order: HOAC, Leawood Lions Club, Troop 10
· Donor families may specifically direct fees as a non-taxable deduction via the Leawood Lions Club.
· The Troop will never let finances become such a family burden that a scout is unable to participate.
· The Troop will consider requests for:
o Scouts: Annual Dues, Monthly Troop Camping, Summer Camp, High Adventure
o Adult Leaders: Monthly Troop Camping (Exclude ski rental), Summer Camp (For families with scouts w/ special needs.)
o Discussion, Motion - G. Spies, Second - C. Pfeffer, Passed.
Honor Programs Report - OA/Rob Baker & MOS/Jim Wasco, Greg Spies
· C-Team Scheduled rehearsals in preparation for Webelos Crosssover Ceremonies.
· OATR’s Attending monthly Lodge Roundtable Meetings.
· Webelos X-Overs: Jan. 12 - Pack 3385, Feb. 20 - Pack 3538.
· OA Winter Banquet Saturday, Jan. 8, 2011 - Arrowhead Club Hall - $25.00/Ticket - Charged to Troop Acct.
· Costuming Materials: Proposal to purchase supplies to continue building/refurbishing OA costuming - $430.
Costuming craft sessions - R. Baker, J. Day & other OA Advisors to facilitate.
Discussion, Motion - T. Thomas, Second - C. Pfeffer, Passed.
· Recent discussion at the October campout with Tribesman regarding their dedication and commitments. Anticipate similar discussion to be scheduled at another troop meeting.
Community Service Report - Jim Leeper
· (Not Present - General Information)
· Highway Clean-Up Activity: Recent activity went well. Troop 10 now approved for same activity for the next 2 years.
Adult Training Report - Scout Bower
· By year-end all registered adults must be current on ALL specified BSA training programs. This includes “Youth Protection Training” for ALL registered adults. Those not trained will be dropped from the re-chartering process.
New Business - Open Discussion
· Walt Andrews
· Recap patrol cooking program from October campout. Favorable.
· Program in-place for November campout. Some adjustment. Hoping for improvements.
· Need to rotate food purchasing responsibility to all patrol members.
· Need to assess contents of Patrol Campboxes. Walt A. & Chuck G. to recommend purchases.
Adjourn - 8:20 P.M.