Troop 10 Committee Meeting
October 09, 2005
Blue Hills Country Club
Doug Ball, Chip Buckner, Chris D’Adamo, William Easley, Roger (Bling) Eaton, Terry Ellis, Ted Fuehr, Chuck Gibson, Bill Haner, Denise Holt, Rusty Howell, Rick Korvick, Clarence Krantz, Chuck Luchen, John McCabe, Jeff Muchow, Alan Myers, Kevin O’Farrell, Mark Perkins, Ken Roberson, Dan Schorgl, Joe Vogliardo, Scott Weaver, Rob Wheeler, Donna Wilson, Jim Wasko
Terry Ellis called the meeting to order at 6:00pm
Terry Ellis Meeting Chair
Introduced Mark Perkins and Donna Wilson and asked the all present to self introduce with name and responsibility.
Recognized and congratulated the following;
Bob Key for efforts on website and pictures, Rick Korvick and Denise Holt for prep for the Camporee and Rusty Howell for grubmaster role, Mark Morrison for the service project, and Debbie Howell and Pattie Cokington for the Junior Leadership Training session that went very well, and John Ahart for the meeting on the 19th with the gadget building activity.
William Easley Scoutmaster Update
Reiterate that JLT went extremely well, and that Debbie and Pattie did a great job with the separate groups and adult helpers. Camporee went very well from the boy’s perspective. The Indian Patrol won the overall best patrol for the Camporee and received two way radios. Roadrunners won a pedometer for finishing in the top group. The Chili Cookoff went very well with all patrols participating. Doing the centralized cooking also kept a cleaner campsite and kept more boys involved. No major issues with cooking on this campout. Chip Buckner did the troop activity of River Water, Muddy Bottom, and missed their target of having ten participants throw up. Four was the maximum they could manage, but with the number of abstentions, they may have been able to reach the goal with a bit more persuasion. The older boys, lead by Collins Reynolds and his ASPLs did a great job with the Webelos and showed them what Scouting is all about at the troop level. Thanks also to Jeff Muchow who rounded up a crew to clean showers.
Clarence Krantz Eagle Advancement
We are in our semi-annual push now with four boards of review coming up on the 20th of October. Need more adults to participate. They will want at least eight adults, in full class A uniforms on the 20th. The four boys are Andrew Cusick, Glenn Dunne, Grant Dalbey, and Kyle Roberson. Clarence encourages any adult who has not sat in on an Eagle Board to do so.
Joe Vogliardo Eagle Court of Honor
Court will be 20 Nov. at Blue Valley North. We have thirteen boys this time, which is just one less than the record of fourteen. Some concerns about the stage size, but that’ll be worked out. Chuck Luchen is doing the PowerPoint. It is agreed that this will be a long one, and that folks should come prepared. Ken Roberson has volunteered to find a speaker, and is interested in anyone who might have an idea on a candidate.
Chris D’Adamo Budget Report
Overall Budget is in good shape. The Philmont and Double H accounts are also in great shape. The next change in budget status will be with the greenery sales receipts, and then the Eagle Court of Honor, which will probably be around $2000. Some discussion was held around discussions to move the Bartle and normal budgets under a single approach.
Alan Myers Greenery Sales
Thanks to Scott Weaver for helping introduce the greenery sales last week. October 24th is due date for orders. Boys should sell at least $80, or $40 buyout. A percentage of sales over $80 will add to scouts account.
Rob Wheeler OA Update
Conclave for Troop 10 will not happen this year. There were only three who had signed up, and
Rob cannot make the trip. Rob will be
looking for OA members to sign up for the Crossover teams for this winter as
Chuck Gibson Equipment Coordinator Update –
Truck has been having problems with front seal leakage on the transmission. Not a big problem for around town trips, but bigger problem with longer trips. Should be fixed Monday, and will also include a tune-up. There were some questions about how to increase the overall speed output of the truck from those who have driven it. That will also be investigated, but may be an expensive proposition. There are lots of tents out right now; patrols need to be sure they have all tents accounted for. There aren’t many spares in the truck right now.
Campground will be Deer Run, ½ mile from SDC. The plan is that the boys will be in the park most of Saturday. May do the cave first, and then adjourn to the park. The whole group can get through the cave, and then break into smaller groups at the park. Will need a check-in process to keep track of who is in or out of the park. Suggestion is that boys wear some Troop 10 t-shirt just to help identify them. Troop will leave from Prairie Star Middle at 3:30 on Friday since the boys don’t have school that day. We have 64 boys and 24 adults signed up right now. The troop truck will not be going, so the adults will need to plan on eating with the patrols. The boys will eat at the park for Saturday dinner, so only two meals to plan, both days’ breakfasts. John is going to see if we can get the Silver Dollar City special Boy Scout patch for this visit.
November Feast Campout:
campout will be same place as last year, at
William Easley Bartle 2006
Draw for dates for 2006 will be on 20th, same night as Eagle boards. William will be going to drawing, then to boards. Choices for which sessions were reviewed and determined as follows: First session, Second, then fifth. We also agreed that Lone Star is still a requirement, but not necessarily same specific campsites. Deposit is due Oct. 17th of $50, fully refundable until April 2006.
Terry Ellis Philmont 2006
There has been a bit less participation with Troop 10 boys than had been hoped, but this has allowed us to open up to other troops. The last count has 31 scouts and 23 adults from Troop 10. We have commitments from Troops 37, 182, 186 and 256 to provide boys as well. Still working on total number, but we are at about 85 spots filled right now. Ok on budget as well. Shakedown hikes start in October and go on Nov, Dec. Feb, Mar, Apr, and May. This may be more difficult to coordinate with other troops. Need an adult to coordinate the shakedown hikes, backpacks and equipment. We may also incorporate the hiking merit badge on these hikes.
New Business Discussed key open positions
and Terry requested committee members solicit volunteers. Filled positions are Joe Alonso, Dan Schorgle and Joe Patterson.
Jeff Mallin is doing bead distribution, Donna Wilson is doing
The committee discussed Bartle late fees and agreed to keep them the same as in the past. Will discuss at the next meeting what to do with the money we currently have in the account that is from late fees. We will discuss the Bartle account at the next meeting.
We discussed credit card payments on scout accounts. Right now it looks like PayPal is the best alternative. Each scout will be getting an e-mail with their account information, and will include a link to pay their account through the website. Costs are 2.9% plus .30 per transaction. Question will be how much it is used versus just checks to the treasurer. The system will also allow credits to be carried in the Scout accounts. The Committee approved moving forward with the PayPal payment process.
Ted Feuhr presented new shirt alternatives and after discussion and it was determined that he would order six dozen red shirts to be available for adults. No specific restrictions on who will be able to buy them.
Alan Myers discussed a Troop 10 credit card to be used for troop purchases. There may be a potential to get rebates from the credit card institution. Allen will review and get back with more info at the next committee meeting.
Next meeting discussion also recommended by Terry Ellis is whether we want to consider any actions on limiting the troop size, or let it find its own natural size. There are a number of issues to work through, including impact on the volunteers, such as grub committee. The second accompanying question was whether we need to start eating more with the boys and lessen the impact of preparing food for as many adults as we are now seeing for every campout. If we could alternate and do some special cooking on some campouts, the impact would be lighter and build more connections to the boys at the same time. We will discuss in more detail at the next committee meeting. The key decision factor is whether we can continue to grow and still keep the objectives of the troop.
Open Discussion All
Halloween Haunted House Oct. 26th, no meeting on Halloween itself.
Terry Ellis adjourned the meeting at 8:20 p.m.
Robert J. Key
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org
Next Committee Meeting November 6th 2005