September 7, 2003
Glenn Alexander, Paul Bertrand, Chip Buckner, Chris D’Adamo, William Easley, Terry Ellis, Chuck Gibson, Bill Haner, Dave Holt, Rick Isham, Joe Johnson, Greg Kent, Bob Lehleitner, Marc McCarty, Alan Myers, Brent Reynolds, Ken Roberson, Allan Schoof, Greg Spies, Herb Strain, Bryce Wells & Tom Wineland
Terry Ellis – Called the meeting to order.
Scoutmaster Update – Bill Haner
· We had a great picnic in August despite the heat.
· Bill thanked those who helped set up and bring food.
· Mike & Chris D’Adamo were inducted into OA.
· We need 1 adult volunteer to head up Knot master program.
Advancement – Greg Kent & Joe Johnson
· There are 7 new Eagles for the next Court of Honor.
· The next Eagle Court of Honor is scheduled for 11/16 at 2:00 PM.
· We don’t have a school location yet.
Order of the Arrow Update – Glenn Alexander
· There are 2 new Arrowmen.
· Glenn will build new Arrowmen tribal attire at his house.
· Glenn asked Greg Spies to make ugly Arrowmen coup for those boys to wear who forget theirs.
Mic-O-Say Update – Greg Spies
· Greg announced the number of new Foxmen, Braves, etc from this year’s Camp Bartle.
· Herb Strain announced that the 75th Tribal Feast is 6/12/04. The cost is $40 for adults, $20 for youth until 10/1/03, after which the cost increases.
Outdoor Activities – Paul Bertrand / Rick Isham
· The Shooting Safety Campout will be 9/19 to 9/21. Copies of the safety rules that will be presented to the Scouts at this year’s Shooting Safety Campout were handed out at the Committee meeting. This year we will be placing even more emphasis on the safety rules to the Scouts. We’re eliminating some of the bigger guns. We discussed what types of targets to use – i.e. animal vs. human silhouettes. The consensus was to use animals, not human silhouettes. They presented their plan of the number and type of shooting stations, weapons at each stations, adults needed at each station, etc. The Committee approved their plan. We will need a lot of parents to help supervise and man the shooting stations. It was suggested that we pre-identify the expert volunteers for each shooting station, who could help train the other volunteer parents.
· Bryce announced that the next 2 Troop meetings will be on firearm safety. At the 9/9 Troop meeting, a Kansas Highway Patrol officer will give a presentation on gun safety, which will be mechanical in nature. (i.e. gun stances, etc.) The following week on 9/15, the Lake City director of a shooting range, who is also an NRA instructor, will give a firearm safety presentation at the Troop meeting.
· Bryce announced that the James A Reed Wildlife on 9/27 in Lee’s Summit. Bill Haner will ask the Troop if they want to participate.
Outdoor Activities – General Update – Herb Strain
· The Trailhead District Camporee will be on 10/17 to 10/19. The deadline for signing up is 9/29. The theme is 100 years of aviation. Troop 10 has to do a presentation for the Webelos (i.e. frying donuts, etc.) Greg Spies and Herb have started recruiting Webelos to attend the Camporee.
· The District January Klondike overnight will be held 1/16 at Snow Creek. There was a discussion on whether Troop 10 should change their January overnight from the scheduled 1/23 date to 1/16 to be able to go with the District. The Committee voted to keep our date 1/23 as scheduled and see if the District can change their date to 1/23.
· The Cosmosphere overnight will be held 2/21.
· We’re trying to line up the 12/5 to 12/7 overnight to be at a military base.
Treasurer’s Report – Chris D’Adamo
· The Troop is in good shape on the budget. We have a balance of $11,141 in checking.
· The Committee approved the following plan for the Greenery Sales: The $40 profit from the first $80 of greenery sales by each Scout goes to the Troop. The profit from sales over $80 is split between the Troop and the Scout as follows: 75% of the profit goes to the Scout’s account, 25% of the profit goes to the Troop. Scouts who don’t participate owe the Troop $40. Scouts who sell less than $80 of greenery sales owe the Troop the difference between the profit they made and $40.
· Alan Myers presented information on the grocery store fundraisers with Price Chopper and Hen House. Alan asked the Committee if the Troop should hold a contest for the Scout that signed up the most people. The consensus was that that boys are selling enough things already for school, etc. and we shouldn’t hold a contest. Alan will plan for an announcement to be made at the upcoming Court of Honor to promote the fundraiser and attach the grocery store registration sheets to the Court of Honor program. He’ll also check to see if Dillons and HyVee offer these programs.
Bartle Treasurer Report – Herb Strain
· There’s $3,587 in the account, which will be rolled into next year. The cost will be the same for next year. The lottery will be held 10/15 for the Troops to get slotted for next year’s Camp Bartle.
Committee Position Update – Terry Ellis
· The Troop is looking for replacements for the following roles: Grub Master, Chaplain, Board of Review coordinator.
· Ken Roberson is the new Charter Organization rep.
Charter Organization – Stu was not at the meeting to give a report.
Outside Merit Badge Update – Herb Strain gave the report for Chuck Luchen
· 11/30 – Music merit badge.
· 11/15 - KC KS Community College Merit Badge Conference
· 9/27 – Truman Library. (It’s full.)
Uniform Exchange – Herb Strain read Mary Brooker’s report.
· The Committee approved Mary’s proposal to form a committee to make uniforms available 2 to 3 times a year. Mary will head the committee.
Troop 10 Web Site Email Address Protection –
· There was concern expressed that the adult leader’s email shown as a hyperlink on the Troop 10 Web site can lead to spam. It was decided that those adults who don’t want their email to be listed as a hyperlink on the Troop 10 Web site can contact Herb Strain and request it be changed.
Trailhead District Roundtable Information – Greg Spies
· We’ll try to get the Web address for the BSA knots of recognition on the Troop 10 Web site.
· Any Scout who recruits a new Scout to Troop 10 will get a patch.
· Adult Leader Training – Herb Strain sent an email listed those adults who needed training.
· Den Chief training is 11/1
The meeting was ended at 8:00 p.m.
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org