Troop 10 Committee Meeting
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Meeting 6:00 pm
Blue Hills Country Club
Blake Williams called the meeting to order at 6:00pm
Opening Remarks – Blake Williams
Good response on neckerchief volunteer email.
Ottingers are leaving the troop, so OA advisor position still in need. Greg Goheen a possibility; Contag will stay through the transition.
elections were loud (normal), but positions were elected. PLC for shooter safety tomorrow night, safety briefing by Mr. Bertrand or Dr. Landau at following meeting. Themed meals are being considered by patrols (Italian?).
2 tour permits needed, one for Venture and one for Troop. NRA instructor, range safety officer being lined up. Venture crew is inviting the Troop, boys 13 and older, to participate in a Venture crew shooter safety event. Venture leaders are Weaver, Leeper, Williams, Fuehr. Venture outing will be from Friday night to Saturday noon; separate billing amount for Venture and Scouts for this outing. Les looking to involve police officers for expertise and potential donations to help them buy protective gear. Could also have the police run the event, including demos on drug dogs, machine guns, etc… all ages would be included. Costs thoughts! Prices are quite a bit higher now, but no real thoughts on cost. Thought on this was that the under 13 should be restricted to the BSA rules. Charges will be finalized later. Greg Spies moved for $40/person (over 13). (Adults may be allowed to shoot after the boys have finished shooting). This includes donation. Voted and passed. Younger scouts should be there by 11am so they can set up. Their cost would be $30.
Tom Baker: Troop picnic - 326 people total, 112 scouts currently signed up.
Camporee is Oct 10-12.
Same as last year basically. Changes in country to
November - Tom has been contacted by Troop 459
to split costs on port-a-potties and they want to know if we want to do
that. What is our November event and
what are the dates? Last year we had an
Quintin - Philmont 2009
we have been authorized 2 crews for July 23rd. Filled within 2 days. Over the next few days we had enough to fill 3 crews, so we now have 3 crews going. 23 scouts and 12 adults signed up.
Tim Navickas - Grubmaster report
for picnic, they estimated 300 for food. Brisket, ribs and chicken breasts. Dave Corley is going to head the cooking group. We need to invite our Lion’s Club sponsors/leaders. Also, what have we done on bringing sides, etc. Note went out already on what to bring. Tim will get Herb to send out another note on what to bring for picnic.
Chuck - equipment update
had tent inventory and loaded truck yesterday. Good turnout. 57 tents are on the truck. Had 6 or 7 patrol camp boxes left at the locker. Some are in various levels of disrepair, but those will be brought up to date before first campout. Will need to look at what isn’t on truck for old goats before shooter safety. If the boys need tents for OA, they can touch base with Chuck or their QM, or they can bring their family tent if they would like. Knife box - has it ever showed up? No, it is gone. We have 2 sets of knives to replace what we had. They will get more before the next campout.
Col. Weaver is in
Gary Flick and Chick Atwell from Lion’s Club update
Lion’s pancake days Oct 17-18th. Last year had plenty of Troop 10 volunteers. They would like to extend the same invitation… fewer scouts needed than last year. This would be a good platform for scouts to sell greenery (11 to 7 on Friday, 7 to 7 on Saturday). Lions would also appreciate the Troop selling tickets to the Pancake Days. Lions scholarship fund for scouts that served on camp staff. Salvation Army bell ringing help would also be appreciated this Nov/Dec.
Nov 7-8 is Leawood 60th
anniversary; event to be held at Ironwoods Lodge. Parade on the 8th,
“Homecoming Leawood, 60 Sensational Years” theme. Help would be appreciated with various tasks,
pooper scooper, build a troop float, etc… There are prizes for floats,
originality, theme, etc. Can’t throw anything off float (candy, etc.) Lions Club has a Scout Patch that can be
earned by working on the Corporate workplace food
drive this November, in conjunction with Church of the Resurrection. Lions delivers 150k
lbs of food every year. Briton Heck
will take to ASPLs for ideas tomorrow. Deb Dellinger will also coordinate service
also need to get a new Troop flag with Lion’s Club on it. They can be ordered through scout
TroopMaster is being updated to 2008. Instructions coming from Herb. Everyone will need to update their existing version to keep current on scout information.
Eagle court of Honor, Nov 23.
Chris Gibson, Michal Archer, Patrick Dellinger,
Kevin Tenny, Alex Borchardt,
and Jonathan Contag. (I
missed one). Next Eagle Board is Sep.
18th. Jeff, Doug as board
members, Greg as advocate. Wasko as third. Cutoff for eagle court
Wed. Sep24th. There
are possibly 7 more boys that could make the deadline. Simon Buckner turns 18 in Dec. so it would
be great to get him in this court. Jacob
Maase, Matt McMullen, Justin Thomas, Robert Dennis,
Kevin Durkee needs additional effort also. Chuck Luchen is
looking for additional photos for
Kevin - budget
nothing has happened since last month. $22k in account. Greenery is coming up, dues are in January. Camporee is always a large expense as well as eagle court. Greenery dates - Packets on Oct 6th, collect on Oct 27th. There are a couple of off-school days to sell. Delivery is around Nov 18-26th.
Donna - recruiting
invite to all feeder packs on camporee, with reminder that district would like to hear from them by Sep date. Will put question out as to what they would like us to do for them. Also question on whether to start discussion on crossover dates. (David Contag) - start planting the idea on crossover commitment now. The Packs should also be reminded that the boys can start in Troop activities as soon as they have their Arrow of Light, but we encourage them to get going in February so they can have some campouts under their belt before summer camp. They have also asked if they can come to November campout, which is ok.
David Contag - has scarves. Getting ready for Fall Fellowship - has been getting fairly good response. 15 scouts and 3 adults so far. Deadline is fairly soon. David needs a volunteer to spend the night Friday night as he can’t be there. The OATR is Kevin Tenny. He is excited about the job. In November they’ll start the Crossover Team training.
Representatives for Religious Awards that they will be putting out info on. Mike Flanagan will be putting out info on this. There are several leadership training opportunities. Entrepreneurship MB is being offered, see documentation.
Next roundtable is at Emmanuel Baptist. Jamboree 2010 is on the horizon. Would be a great
opportunity. HOC will be filling
up 2 troops. Location
Donna Wilson - new business - it was suggested last year that we do something different to market Troop 10. Is it feasible to do our Eagle CoH video and showing it? Not only does it have the boys who made Eagle, but it also shows our campouts, activities, etc. The concern is that Jeff Flottman might not have time to do this. We might be able to have someone else set this up? We could take some of the other older videos. Need to find a volunteer to put this together. We also have a historian (Garrett Shropshire is the scout historian). We’ll get Herb to send out email to find volunteers. Jim Thomas is also a photographer for UMKC so he might be an option. Bob Key and/or Herb can download and send it to Donna.
Other new business - Bartle draw is around Oct. 13th. It’s on council calendar. Charlie is on that as campmaster. Ron Wood - are going to try to get Ham Radio licensing class - he’ll get a list, but it’s long and complicated. Would like to start week after next? Who has the troop Projector? Bob Key.
Elaine - can we get smaller red troop shirts? Need a new shipment - we’ll keep some in inventory. O
Briton - what happened to the den that we sent
They decided they didn’t need a den chief. We have 4 color team ASMs
who need help. Garret
Blake Williams adjourned the meeting at 7:14 p.m.
Doug Ball filling in as Secretary for John McCabe
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org
Next Committee Meeting October 5th 2008 at 6pm