Troop 10 Committee Meeting
Sunday, September 13th, 2009
Meeting 6:00 pm
Blue Hills Country Club
Jeff John McCabe, Tracy Thomas, Rob Baker, Ted Fuehr, Blake Williams, Greg Spies, John Ahart,
Jim Wasko, John Martin, David Corley, Tim Navickas, Scott Bower, Barbara Koziol,
Bob Rohlf, Doug Ball, Rob Davis, Paul Gurney, Tom
1. Introductions & Opening Comments - Blake Williams
a. Welcome and introductions – Blake called the meeting to order @ 6:07PM
b. Looking for the following adult volunteers: Adult Recognition Coordinator, Internal Merit Badge Coordinator, JLT Overall Coordinator
2. Leawood Lions - Gary Flick/Chick Atwell
a. No Report
3. Borosow Memorial – Paul Gurney presented to the committee a proposal to establish some memorial for Mark Borosow. Discussion centered around a scouting scholarship in Mark’s name, perhaps for an older scout who gave back to the younger scouts. Julie Borosow is very supportive. Paul agreed to head a committee to identify further ideas and report back to the troop committee at a later date.
4. Scoutmaster Update - Greg Spies
i. All scouts have been assigned to patrols
1. May be some additional adjustments
ii. Tomorrow night 2 older boys will be joining troop – 7th graders
iii. Due to calendar, no PLC B/4 next weekend’s campout could present planning issues.
iv. Plan for Shooter Safety
1. Venture Crew Friday night w/ shooting Saturday morning
2. rest of scouts to arrive late morning
3. activity to include construction of fire kits
v. Monday meeting plan:
1. Shooter Safety menu planning
2. Gun Safety led by Les Landau
3. Same safety process as last year
vi. 3 meeting nights b/4 Camporee – 1 PLC + 2 regular troop meetings
b. Senior Patrol Leader - Brian Leeper – No report
5. Outdoor Activities (Camping/Grubmaster) - Scott Brown/Brian Leeper/David Corley
a. September 18-20, Venture Crew Recruiting/Shooter Safety, Illig Farm (see above)
b. October 23, Halloween Outing – Need an adult volunteer to coordinate
c. November 13-15, Feast, Camp Ernst – confirmed camp site
i. Outdoor Leadership Training will be provided by Trailhead District over the course of weekend – may limit participation of some adult leaders in troop.
d. Rest of camping season has been planned as follows:
ii. January – Ski campout – Weston
iii. February – Fire & Ice – Spies Farm
iv. March – Bicycle – seeking new route
v. April – O/A Tapout – Illig Farm
vi. May – Canoe campout
6. High Adventure
a. Rob Davis gave a report on plans for Black Beards Diving trip planned for July 23rd – 30th 2010.
i. Flier will be posted on troop website
ii. Rob will make announcement tomorrow’s troop meeting announcing program
b. Quentin Cokingtin is working on an additional hiking/camping high adventure opportunity for next summer – details to follow.
7. 2009 District Camporee
a. 2009 District Camporee, Oct 9-11, former Southview Golf Club – Blake Williams/Greg Spies
i. Plans coming along well.
ii. Decisions on layout and locations of activities complete
iii. Estimating 700 will attend.
iv. Need John Boat for Camporee
Equipment Coordinator -
a. Locker clean out and truck loading occurred on Saturday, September 12.
b. Tent inventory was completed
i. 7 tents short from ’09 inventory
ii. Total of 24 tents short (including 7 above) from all previous years.
c. Scoutmaster Greg Spies Motioned to revert back to previous tent assignment process whereby tents were checked out to ea. patrols’ quartermaster at start of camping season and collected in January @ leadership change over and year end. Patrol would be charged for missing or damaged tents.
i. McCabe seconded.
ii. Discussion ensued
iii. Vote was passed by voice vote
9. Membership - Todd Martz – Not present
a. Recruiting update – discussion regarding need to contact feeder Packs regarding Camporee participation for Webloes.
b. Need Den Chiefs for numerous Dens.
c. Sunrise Point Elementary Pack needs to be invited to Camporee
Scout thru Life -
b. Eagle Candidates - Tracy Thomas
i. 9/23 cut-off for November Court
1. 12 boys
2. 4 deferred to Spring
ii. Spring 2010 could be very large - 25 to 28
11. Scout Leadership - Doug Ball
a. JLT – Sept. 21st
i. Expectation session will include discussion about leadership termination if a scout isn’t performing their job as required
b. Need many leadership jobs filled:
ii. Troop guides
iii. Den Chiefs
iv. Troop quartermasters
c. Frontiersman Patrol needs a quartermaster
12. Finance - John Martin
a. Treasurer's report
i. $11,000 cash in account
ii. Due to Bartle Deposit – cash will be tight in October
iii. AR down to $1,200
1. really $5,600, but due to credit balances – net $1,200
2. Also many outstanding AR accounts from scouts no longer w/ troop
iv. Martin & Scott Brown are tweaking fees on campouts to ensure ea. breaks even
v. Bartle deposits due by 10/12
b. Fundraising - Barbara Cusick – No report
13. Honor Programs
a. O/A - Rob Baker
i. Bobby Goheen is the new O/A Troop Representative
ii. Crossover Team recruiting to begin ASAP
iii. Fall Fellowship fell through due to date conflicts
iv. There will be heavy O/A presence at Camporee
b. Mic-O-Say - Bob Tenny/Jim Wasko
i. Will hold discussion Friday night at Shooter Safety Campout w/ venture crew scouts regarding attending Camporee
14. Community Service Projects
a. Urban Outreach, Troop 6 - John Ahart
i. Eagle Core
1. Shetlar, Cokingtin did Dutch oven cooking at last meeting
2. 1st aid training on Saturday
9/25 camping in
4. John requested modest funds ~ $50 per event
a. Greg Spies moved that the troop provide funds not to exceed $400 per year
c. Vote approved unanimously
ii. Other events
2. Abby’s Run – Sunday of Camporee
3. Pancake Days – Oct. 16th to 18th
b. Highway clean-up, October 3 - Jim Leeper – No report
15. New Business/Open Discussion – No new business was discussed.
Meeting adjourned @ 7:55 PM.
Minutes respectfully submitted to Blake Williams by John McCabe
Return to Home Page: bsatroop10.org