July – September 2014
This is a high adventure trip to the Boy Scout high adventure camp near Poncha Springs, Colorado named Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base (RMHAB).
We will check-in to RMBAH on Sunday, July 20. Check out is on Saturday, July 26. Our program will include two days of whitewater rafting on the Arkansas River and three days of backpacking, camping and ascending a 14,000 foot mountain.
Several members of the high adventure group will travel to La Junta, CO on July 19 to see the the Koshare Indian Museum, the Kiva, the show and to overnight in the Kiva. This group will stop at the Royal Gorge on the way to RMHAB. This group will also depart RMHAB Friday afternoon for Great Sand Dunes National Park and camp there. Saturday will be spent hiking and sandboarding the tallest sand dunes in North America and going on a hike to Zapata Falls.
19th travel to La Junta Co. (8 AM - 4 PM)
20th travel to Poncha Springs Co. (9 AM to 2 PM)
25th travel to Great Sand Dunes NP (5 PM to 7 PM)
26th travel to WaKeeney, Kansas
27th AM return to KC
MEETING PLACE: Meet at Price Chopper 133rd and Mission, Friday, Sep 12th, at 6:00pm. Load bikes on trailer (or bring it on personal bike rack). We will depart Price Chopper promptly at 6:30pm (We will return home after we break camp Sunday morning).
If you plan to arrive late, leave early or leave during the campout, you MUST contact our Scoutmaster, Rob Day, by 10:00pm Thursday Sep 11th or you may not get credit for the campout. firstname.lastname@example.org
You must bike or hike (see below) to receive credit for this campout.
ADULTS, Non-scout siblings & SPL Staff: $25.00
SCOUTS: $15 + patrol costs
Friday, Sep 12th
- Eat Dinner en route
- Arrive @ Mergen Farm before 8:30pm
- Setup Camp
Saturday, Sep 20th
- 10am BIKE or HIKE on the beautiful KATY Trail (6 or 16 mile round trip) Camping MB requirement 9b3
- Helmet required for all Riders!!!
- Water Bottle for the Trail
- Sack lunch or money for lunch in Green Ridge or Windsor (small back pack may be needed)
- Return to campgrounds
- Work on Rank Advancement
- Fishing (bring fishing pole and bait)
- Potential Water Activities if the weather forecast is above 80 degrees (bring swimsuit and towel)
- Religious Service
- Campfire (skit from each patrol)
Sunday, Sep 14th
- Breakfast/Break Camp/Depart for home around 9:00am
Friday Supper – en route
- Patrols plan and prepare a Hot Breakfast
- Adults & SPL Staff will cook & eat as the “Old Goat Patrol”
- Everyone bring a Sack Lunch. This needs to be carried on the trail, so a daypack might be a good idea. Carry water bottle.
- There is a Casey’s General store in Green Ridge and in Windsor right off the trail, but the wait may be up to an hour for some items (like pizza).
- Patrols plan and prepare a Hot Supper and Dessert Competition
- Adults, SPL Staff will cook & eat as the “Old Goat” Patrol.
- Patrols plan and prepare a Hot Breakfast
- Adults, SPL Staff & Mustangs will cook & eat as the “Old Goat” Patrol.
Troop Policy: NO Lighter Fluid, “Match-light”, or accelerant to be used.
Charcoal chimneys are provided by the Troop.
- Weather appropriate clothing, extra dry clothing to change into at night (Socks, sweats, t-shirts, gloves, etc.)
- Sturdy Boots / Shoes & extra pair shoes.
- Sleeping Bag
- Ground Mat
- Mess Kit (bowl, plate, insulated cup, knife, fork, spoon)
- Rain Gear
- Bike / Helmet / spare inner tube
- Canteen or water bottle
- Sun Screen/Sun Glasses
- Swimsuit & Towel (if weather is warm)
- Patrol tents & tarps (check to make sure ALL parts are present)
- Patrol Cook Boxes (cleaned & stocked)
- Food for all meals / charcoal / stoves
- Scout Handbook
- Money for snacks at Casey’s General
- (Consult your Scout Handbook for a complete list)
- UNIFORM: Scout T-Shirt, weather appropriate.
Patrols need to work together to make sure that patrol tents and cooking boxes are brought to camp by assigned patrol members. If you have Patrol Equipment (tents, tarps, stoves, cooking equipment), make sure it makes it to this campout even if you aren’t attending. Call your patrol leader, if he doesn’t call you by Wednesday, September 18th. Patrol Quartermasters must speak to the Troop Quartermaster, Jeromy Rutledge; email@example.com; if ANY additional equipment is needed (i.e. cooking grates, bricks, tent poles, tent pegs, tarps, tents) Paper goods, cup & knife/fork/spoon will not be provided.
Please sign-up at a regular Monday Troop meeting in September. No shows and cancellations after Sept 11th will be charged the full amount.
The coordinating patrol will be the Alligators. One of the parents of a Alligator Patrol Scout must drive the troop truck to and from the campout (Friday to Sunday). The Troop Truck will be loaded by ALL TROOP QUARTERMASTERS and all Alligator Patrol Members on Thursday September 19th at 6:00PM. The Troop Truck is located at the self-storage facility at 133rd and Holmes Road. The Alligator Patrol & All Quartermasters will unload the troop truck on Sunday morning following the campout.
If you have any questions please contact:
Scoutmaster Rob Day: firstname.lastname@example.org
Campmaster Chris Blackwood email@example.com
Directions (84 miles, approx 1h30m):
From the Price Chopper go East on hwy 50 to Mo. Hwy 127 towards La Monte, Mo. La Monte is 8 miles east of Knob Noster. Turn Right (south) onto Hwy 127. Travel approximately 10 miles until 127 forks to the right into Green Ridge. Do not go into Green Ridge, but stay left and continue on B Hwy. Travel approx.. 4 miles on Hwy B. Road will have sharp curve to the left and then when road starts to sharp curve to right, go straight onto CAMP BRANCH ROAD. Take Camp Branch Road up to 4 way intersection. Turn left onto Bagby Road. Go past Mergen farm on the left to the next gravel drive on the left.