May – August 2014
Troop 10 Mustang Scouts
The annual Troop 10 Mustang Campout is coming up on Saturday, May 31 – Sunday, June 1. This campout is specifically held to help you work on your Scout Skills.
You can sign up here.
Please note the following details and come prepared:
When: Saturday, May 31 – Sunday, June 1, 2014
Where: Mt. Moriah Cemetery, 10507 Holmes Road, Kansas City, MO 64131
We will be camping in the undeveloped part of the cemetery in the Northeast Corner of the Cemetery overlooking the second pond. You will need to drive through the cemetery to get to the designated area. Please note that you may want to bring earplugs. There are train tracks nearby and the trains will blow their whistles.
Release Form: Must be signed by parent to attend the campout.
Saturday, June 1
• 8:00 am Arrive at Mt. Moriah Cemetery. Set up Camp.
• 9:30 am Scout Skills Instruction
• Review safe use of knife, saw, and axe to prepare fire materials
• Totin Chip Card
• Review basic fire building skills
• Cooking Fire Demonstration
• Fire Man Chit Award
• 11:00 am Gather and prepare fire materials for lunch
• 12:00 pm Lunch
• 1:00 pm Scout Skills Instruction
• Using Lightweight Backpacking Stoves
• Using Troop Coleman Stoves and Lanterns
• Dutch Oven Instruction
• Basic Compass Instruction – Bearing Course
• 3:00 pm Environmental Science Plot Study Hike – Merit Badge Requirement 4a
• Be prepared to take detailed notes that will be used to write your report for the Environmental Science Merit Badge (eagle required) at Camp Bartle.
• 5:00 pm Prepare and Eat Dinner
• 7:00 pm Free Time – Fishing
• 8:30 pm Campfire
• 10:00 pm Taps – Lights Out
Sunday, June 2
• 7:30 am Reveille. Prepare and Eat Breakfast
• 9:00 am Scouts Own
• 9:30 am Break Camp
*Additional Service Hours – Trailhead Day Camp Setup at Camp Timberlake. I will have four cemetery tents to set up – With plenty of help it should take us no more than 2 hours including travel time. If you want to stay longer and help in other areas at Timberlake I know they would appreciate the help.
- 8:30 a.m. Scouts Check-in At Price Chopper 13351 Mission Rd (135th Street) Load Truck with Personal Gear
- 8:30 a.m. Bring All Gear, Sack Lunch & Drink with screw on top. Wear Full Class “A” Uniform with swim trunks under it.
- 11:30 a.m. Gates Open – Arrive at Camp Bartle
- The first thing you will do after you unload the bus and put your camp boxes in your tent is the BSA Swim Test.
See the Bartle Summer Schedule for a complete daily schedule.
- 2d Class Req. #6—Identify 10 wild animals
- 1st Class Req. #6—Identify 10 native plants
- 1st Class Req. #5—Constitutional rights and obligations of US citizen.
- 1st Class Req. #7a, 8a—Timber Hitch, Clove Hitch, Bowline knots
- 1st Class Req. #7a—Square, Shear, and Diagonal Lashings
- 1st Class Req. #7b—Useful Camp Gadget using lashings
This is a high adventure trip to the Boy Scout high adventure camp near Poncha Springs, Colorado named Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base (RMHAB).
We will check-in to RMBAH on Sunday, July 20. Check out is on Saturday, July 26. Our program will include two days of whitewater rafting on the Arkansas River and three days of backpacking, camping and ascending a 14,000 foot mountain.
Several members of the high adventure group will travel to La Junta, CO on July 19 to see the the Koshare Indian Museum, the Kiva, the show and to overnight in the Kiva. This group will stop at the Royal Gorge on the way to RMHAB. This group will also depart RMHAB Friday afternoon for Great Sand Dunes National Park and camp there. Saturday will be spent hiking and sandboarding the tallest sand dunes in North America and going on a hike to Zapata Falls.
19th travel to La Junta Co. (8 AM - 4 PM)
20th travel to Poncha Springs Co. (9 AM to 2 PM)
25th travel to Great Sand Dunes NP (5 PM to 7 PM)
26th travel to WaKeeney, Kansas
27th AM return to KC
Session 1- 8/18/2014
Session 2 – 12/1/2014
Must be 1st Class Rank or Above
Jeff Parrish; 913-322-1276 email@example.com
Doug Cochran; 913‐897‐1924 firstname.lastname@example.org
Bill Mauer; 913‐402‐8206 email@example.com
For further information, see the Cooking Merit Badge page.