December 2012 – March 2014
Troop 10 will be boarding a Blackbeard ship for an adventure on the high seas next summer, July 20-26. We will be departing from Nassau, Bahamas for a week of sailing, diving, snorkeling, and fishing. Scouts must be 13 years old at the time of the trip or 12 years old and have completed 7th grade.
The cost is approx $1219 if already scuba certified and $1932 if scuba certification is needed. Air fare is approx. $500 in addition to this.
The trek will start on July 11th and end on July 23rd. Based on the current Amtrak schedule, you would take the 10:45pm train to Raton, NM the evening of July 10th (Thursday) and arrive around 11am the morning of July 12th.
The return trip has you leaving Raton on July 23rd at 4:50pm and getting back to Kansas City around 7:30am July 24th (Thursday).
If you are interested in attending, please email Krista Cox. Scouts must be at least 14 years old, or completed the 8th grade and 13 years old prior to arriving at Philmont. (currently in the 6th grade)
All fees non-refundable
For more information, please contact
Troop 10 – High Adventure Chair
For all scouts and parents interested in any high adventure backpacking trip over the next several years…
Marta Henshaw from Backwoods will be doing a “Gear Talk” on February 3 at 6 PM at Prairie Star Middle School prior to the Troop meeting. This will be your opportunity to hear about the newest and best gear to take with you in your pack. She will also be giving tips on how to pack your backpack. You will have an opportunity to ask her any gear related questions.
Please RSVP to Krista Cox by 1/31 if you are coming.
For more information on this event, please visit the Uniform Exchange page.
At a Glance
Number of Nights: 1 Night – Saturday Afternoon/Sunday Morning
Special Activity: Omaha Zoo Visit
Individual Meals: 1 Sack Dinner–bus ride down. 1 Snack (provided by zoo) Saturday night and $$$ for lunch on Sunday
Uniform: Class “A”
Cost: $45 for Zoo Campout, $35 for Bus Ride, $10 for Oceanography Merit Badge (Optional)
Signup/Cancellation Deadline: Monday, January 31st
Coordinating Patrol: None (no cooking)
Travel Time/Distance: ~3.5 hours by Charted Bus
Event/Location Website: Omaha Zoo
Weather: Omaha, NE
We will be taking chartered motor coaches to and from the zoo.
Depart: 2:00PM on Saturday, February 22nd from Price Chopper @133 / Mission. Please arrive by 1:30PM.
Return: 7:00PM on Sunday, February 23rd, to theprice chopper @133/mission.
$45.00 Zoo Camping Fee (per person)
$35.00 Bus Ticket (per person. Assumes full bus of 54 passengers, will be higher if bus is not full)
$10.00 Oceanography Merit Badge Class (optional)
Agenda and Program
- 6:45 – 7:00 p.m. – Meet campout leaders at Main Gate to begin your night.
- 7:00-7:45 p.m. – Move vehicles onto Zoo property. Orientation and activities.
- 7:45-9:15 p.m. – Night Hike
- 9:15-10:00 p.m. – Zoo-related activities.
- 10:00-12:00 a.m. – Inside a Zoo building for the night. Snack provided by zoo. Wind down for the night.
We will be sleeping indoors in Troop Tents & Adult Tents
These tents need to be free-standing – NO tent stakes allowed
- 6:00 a.m. – Wake up call.
- 6:00-7:30 a.m. – Breakfast provided by zoo, load gear into vehicles, move to main parking area.
- 7:30-9:00 a.m. – Morning hike.
- 9:00 a.m. – Visit the Zoo exhibits
- 10:00a.m. – Noon: OCEANOGRAPHY MERIT BADGE CLASS
- Noon: Buy your own lunch at the Zoo
- 3:00PM Board buses and depart for price chopper.
- NO OUTSIDE FOOD ALLOWED. This is a change from 2 years ago.
- Lunch Saturday: Eat at home before you arrive
- Dinner Saturday: Sack “lunch” style
- Late Snack: Zoo provided.
- Breakfast Sunday: Zoo provided.
- Lunch Sunday: Buy at the Zoo.
- Dinner Saturday: Eat when you get home.
- Coolers are NOT OK to bring with you. No cooking facilities are available.
We have to reserve three weeks in advance, so you must sign up by January 31st. If you cancel, No refunds are possible, since we have to reserve the Zoo and buses in advance. Please sign-up at the regular troop meeting on January 27th or if you can’t be at that meeting sign up via e-mail to: Chris Blackwood. Please indicate if you want to take the optional Oceanography Merit Badge ($10).
- Class “A” Uniform, We will wear our Class A’s all day on Sunday.
- Sleeping bag, pillow, air mattress or cot (optional)
- Minimal personal gear (toothbrush, toothpaste, brush, etc.)
- Flashlight (optional)
- Weather appropriate clothing, good shoes for hiking
- DVD to watch after night hike (the zoo has a small selection of DVD’s available)
- Change of clothes
- Troop Tent (or personal tent for adults) – free-standing (no tent stakes) (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL OF THE PARTS)
The truck will not be going, so there is no need to load it on Thursday.
I-29N to I-80W to exit 454 (13th Street). Go north on 13th Street (one way) to Frederick St, and turn right onto S 10th St. Continue to Deer Park Blvd; the Zoo will be on your left. Distance/Time: 209 miles in ~3.5 hours.
If you have any questions please contact: