Cooking Merit Badge – Session 1 of 2
This is the first of two sessions required for the Cooking Merit Badge. The second session will be at the prestigious Hospitality & Culinary Academy in Johnson County Community College. Cooking is an Eagle required merit badge.
Session 1 – 11/14/2016
Session 2 – Spring 2017
Scouts must be of 1st Class Rank of above to attend.
Click here for more information on the Cooking Merit Badge.
The classes cover important requirements, but the bulk of the activity necessary to complete the Cooking Merit Badge will be done independently on campouts. Several meals need to be planned and a few of the planned meals need to be prepared, consumed and witnessed. Some meals are regular campout meals. Some meals are backpack style meals on campouts. Some meals are prepared at home.
Witnessing of the meals is done either by signature of an Assistant Scoutmaster at the campout, or with pictures of the meal, the chef and the consumers of the meal when turning in the merit badge worksheet.
Because meals are prepared on campouts and we only have one campout a month, the Cooking Merit Badge usually takes a few months to finish. Be sure to start well in advance of a date when you would like to be complete. Scouts who are close to aging out should be given top cooking priority on campouts. Scouts who are close to eagle rank should be given next priority for cooking on campouts.
How to Prepare for and Earn a Merit Badge:
- Purchase or borrow the Merit Badge handbook and read in advance of attending the first class.
- Many Merit Badge books are available to borrow in the Troop Library
- The Merit Badge book contains a lot of information that is useful in completing the Merit Badge
- Bring the following items with you to class:
- a printout of the appropriate Merit Badge worksheet
- the Merit Badge handbook
- writing utensils
- a binder or clipboard to make writing easier
- Instructors will note when prerequisites are needed and this will be noted on the Troop Calendar. Prepare those in advance and bring them to class.