White Color Team has QM Duty.
Fire & Ice Campout
December 13 – 14, 2014
Weather: Clinton State Park
Sat. Departure: Departure from Prairie Star Middle School at 8:30am.
Sun. Return: We will return home after we break camp Sunday, around 9:00am.
If you plan to arrive late, leave during the campout, or leave early Sunday, you MUST contact our Scoutmaster, Rob Day, no later than Thursday, December 11th or you may not get credit for the campout; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SCOUTS: $12.50
- ADULTS: $20
- VEHICLES: $5/per vehicle (pay at park)
- WEBELOS: Due to the cold weather, Webelos are not invited.
Saturday: Scouts select camp areas for color groups, Camp setup, Lunch break (cook lunch by patrol), Service Project, Sundown Worship Service, Campfire (All Color teams have a skit prepared); additional scout planned elective activity to be announced.
Troop-wide Capture the Flag, using Scout Skills (teams determined SPL).
Depending on weather:
- 35 Miles of Mountain Bike Trails – all bikes will need to be transported by the parents
- Mountain Bike Skills Area – Just north of area 3
- 15 and under may Fish in the lake without a KS Fishing Permit
- 35 Miles of Hiking Trails of various degrees of difficulty ring the lake
- Feed the carp at the boat ramp area
- Frisbee Golf Area
- Several large open areas for tossing a football or playing catch
Sunday: Hot Breakfast, Break Camp
You must be present at the following times for camp credit. If you cannot make these times, you must gain prior approval from the scoutmaster, Rob Day.
- Roll call at 10:00am in the camping area
- Roll call after dinner in the camping area
- Roll call for dismissal Sunday morning
- This campout may give you the required snow camping credit for the camping merit badge if there is snow on the ground at the time of camp.
- Group Area #3 is a very large area (450 feet x 500 feet square).
- Each campsite has an open fire pit with grill. Cooking can all be done on wood with grills, pans, or Dutch ovens. (new scouts may be able to get in some open fire cooking for their cooking requirement.)
- Vault Toilets (Bartle-like) in camping area – We should bring toilet paper just in case.
- Heated showers and restroom (see small red rectangle in map below). If you shower, it would be a good idea to bring a blow dryer (for those of you with hair).
- Note: Troop 10 will be supplying fire wood. There will be NO live cutting at Clinton Lake, however anything dead on the ground is fair game.
- Saturday breakfast: Everyone – Eat prior to arrival.
- Saturday lunch: Everyone – Bring sack lunch.
- Saturday supper: Scouts will cook a Dutch oven dinner for themselves and their families in attendance (Troop will provide all food for cooking)
- Sunday Breakfast: Everyone will eat with the “Old Goat Patrol”
– The Troop will do all the grocery shopping. Scouts do not bring ingredients for dinner or breakfast.
– Quartermasters should still bring patrol boxes but Dutch ovens will be provided by the Troop and will be sent on the Troop truck.
You will need cold weather clothing, extra dry clothing to change into at night (socks, sweats, t-shirts, stocking hats, etc.), cold weather sleeping bag, ground mat, eating mess kit, and rain gear. Patrols need to work together to make sure that patrol tents and cooking boxes (cleaned and properly stocked) are brought to camp by assigned patrol members. If you have Patrol Equipment (tents, tarps, stoves, cooking equipment), make sure it makes it to this campout even if you aren’t attending. Call your patrol leader, if he doesn’t call you by Wednesday, December 10th Patrol Quartermasters must speak to the Troop Quartermaster, Mike Dyess; email@example.com; if ANY additional equipment is needed (i.e. cooking grates, bricks, tent poles, tent pegs, tarps, tents). Paper goods & cups will not be provided.
Please sign-up no later than the December 8th Troop Meeting or via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your fee will be added to your account by the Troop Treasurer. No shows and cancellations after December 11th will be charged the full amount.
The White Color Team has Quartermaster Duty. The coordinating patrol will be the Python Patrol. One of the parents of a Python Patrol scouts will need to drive the troop truck to and from the campout. The Python Patrol Scouts and ALL quartermasters are responsible to load the truck on Thursday, December 11th at 6:00pm and unload the troop truck on Sunday morning.
Get on I-435 W/US-50 W in Overland Park from Nall Ave
Take KS-10 W through Lawrence (10 Hwy turns into 23rd Street & then Clinton Parkway – All the same road.)
Go as far as it will go (to the Dead- End – E900 Road) turn right, then take the second left (before Boat Storage Lot, 1415 Road) this is the entrance to the State Park.
Follow the long drive, it goes down a hill then up a hill to the pay booth. You pay your parking permit fee there (when open), park office or use the Self-pay Station across from the Park Office.
Then go to the camping area, get set up
Capture the Flag:
We will be playing a troop-wide game of Capture the Flag on Saturday. Attached are some of the rules. It would be wise to brush up on your pioneering skills prior to the campout.
If you have questions, contact:
Rob Day; email@example.com
Gilbert Trill; firstname.lastname@example.org